For health reasons, I am trying to eat healthier or at least follow the 80/20 rule. Trying to cut sugars & carbs and increase my fiber intake. This is not an easy task and it takes time to research and plan your meals. The original recipe called for fresh corn and if you don’t like black beans you can certainly use corn. However, there is a lot more fiber in the beans. You can also replace the ground meat with a boneless chicken breast. This is really a one pan meal so there is very little clean up in the end.
Ingredients for fajita seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
For the skillet
- 1 large ear of corn
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces 90/10 lean ground beef
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, spiralized or sliced into thick, wide ribbons
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Mix together first nine ingredients in a small bowl to make the fajita seasoning. Set aside.
Place a 12-inch skillet that has a lid over medium heat. When water flicked onto the skillet sizzles, add the beef.
Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and oregano, and cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is browned .
Remove it from the skillet, and set aside.
Add the olive oil to the skillet, and increase heat to medium-high.
When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and bell peppers, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
Return the beef to the pan, and add the tomatoes, black beans and 1 tablespoon of the fajita seasoning.
Toss together, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Uncover the skillet, and garnish with the avocado slices and cilantro. Serve immediately.